View Single Post
I used Things heavily for over a year before recently switching to OmniFocus. I personally had nothing against Things -- I'd still be using it if it just allowed better organization of projects (folders, sub-projects, etc.). There are still some aspects of Things I miss, such as how well it printed tasks. I own OmniFocus, Things, and The Hit List; and of them all Things is the only one that appears to have put effort into making a nicely printed report.

That said, I personally didn't care much for the interface in Things. While I did find it very attractive initially, over time I found it getting in my way. I very often dump a lot of thoughts into the comments areas of my tasks along with status updates. I hated having to double-click on tasks to view these details. At first it was no big deal, but over time it got really annoying. Plus there was no way to view details of multiple tasks at once.

I'm all for OmniFocus looking prettier so long as the change is mild. Today OF has a pretty flat interface. Modern operating systems have made us accustomed to certain 3D design elements in our interfaces (for better or worse). Things goes a little overboard with the 3D. The Hit List has a nice balance of it (though I hate the notepad styling).

In OF I personally would be happy with simply having more control over the styling of backgrounds of the various elements (project titles, actions, etc.). Currently we just have background color (even the shadow option is greyed-out). Given the other styling controls we have today, if we could style the color, texture, and shadow of those background elements I think we could actually get close to mimicking the designs of many other programs people keeping comparing OF to. Being able to style the checkbox itself would be icing on the cake.

Whatever change Omni does decide to make, just please don't make the interface get in my way. That's why I'm using OF in the first place.

Last edited by Megamoose; 2009-09-27 at 12:10 PM..