View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobTrew View Post
I think that's right.

We need designs that maximise revelation of our data (in all its layers and nuances), while minimizing the cognitive effort and distraction that is imposed on us.

--
Yes! While I agree that OF could look better and "pretty," but not at the expense of functionality or efficiency. I always come back to OF because of these two things.

Yes, I've tried both Things and THL (which development seems to have stalled btw), but at the end of the day, both lacked several critical functionality that OF offers (e.g., flexibility of organizing data, ease of review, quick entry**). **they all offer quick entry function, but entering data into other programs is nothing but quick for me.

One thing I hate about Things is that I can't put any items that have later start date than today into project folders. Now that seems obvious there is a need to do this for many, but they haven't changed this even though it's been one of the most requested features since its release. Both Things and THL also do not provide an easy way for me to review all my projects and to add/change items in the projects.

Now am I saying OF is perfect? No, but among all the tools I have available (I have used LF as well), OF seems to offer the best functionality and most features I need to be organized. Another way to say this is that OF right now is the best program that gets out of my way when it comes to planning and letting me focus on getting things done. With all others (due to their limitations), I spent more time entering, organizing, and viewing my tasks, and as a result, they are distractions. Of course, I could be using those extra times to get things done to improve my productivity. My time is limited; so, I could either spend my time planning or acting, and any extra time I spend on planning than it is needed, I'm not getting things done.

Thanks.