View Single Post
Perspectives are cool, but I sure long for smart folders sometime.

There is a view I can not come up with that I want, that would be easy with Smart Folders:

Match if any condition is true:
Flagged = True
Due Date < Now+2

Basically I want to see all my Flagged or due soon/overdue items.

Near as I can tell this is impossible with Perspectives.

Since the early beta days I've seen it told "Just expand the Due Today group and ignore the others" when one wanted to see tasks due today. This seems counter to the whole idea of "Focus".

Now I know that there have to be engineering resource allocation decisions, as this is a very finite and valuable resource. Sometimes it seems the culture at Omni is to push into new frontiers at the expense of convention (is the oft controversial column resizing behavior). This gives us some awesome stuff that you just can't find elsewhere, but there are tradeoffs.

Perspectives offer some very cool possibilities. BUT they are a new paradigm to learn in what is already an app with a substantial learning curve. I'd love to see at some point (perhaps along with the arbitrary metadata feature) an option to have a perspective/view/Folder whatever based on the smartfolder criterion matching paradigm. Even with its limitations, its become such a standardized paradigm that users both want/expect it, and already know how to use it well.

Peace Out.

-P