View Single Post
I'm an application whore and a developer's dream. There are so many apps on my MacBook that I've trialed, purcased used for a bit and then dumped.

Notebook, Evernote, Together, Yojimbo, BBEdit, Today, MenuCalendarClock, OmniWeb and so on and so on. Until yesterday this list also included OmniFocus as for the past 8 months or so I have been using Things which is still a super, beautiful, well-considered application. Prior to Things I had been using OF (I had been a beta tester) but ending up feeling lost and not having a handle on my actions and projects. In Things I could easily develop a workflow of weekly & daily reviews that produced a focussed today list in an app I could trust. However, there was still and itch that I could still do better.

So, changing a habit of a Mac(lifetime), rather than simply buy The Hit List, I fired up OF, spent a few hours putting tasks back in and began to re-evaluate it and I think it'll be sticking around this time.

The key for me is having the perspectives set up correctly so that they map my work flow. I replicated Things' Next and Today lists with the following:

Daily review
View Mode :Planning
Focus : {My work folders}
Filter :Active
Grouping:Folder
Sorting:Name
Action Filter:Available
Time Filter:Any Duration
Flag Filter:Any Flag State

From this list I flag items so that fall into my Today perspective:

Today
View Mode:Context
Focus:No Focus
Filter:Remaining
Grouping:Context
Sorting:Due
Action Filter:Due or Flagged
Time Filter:Any Duration
Flag Filter:Any Flag State

This seems pretty useful to me and with the added benefits that OF brings such a quick look on attachments, groups in projects, timed deadlines, working well with OmniOutliner and OmniPlan then I'm hoping for more success this time around. Can anyone share any other perspectives that they find useful within their system?