Thread: OF is very slow
View Single Post
Your number of zip files is a bit high, but that's to be expected when you have 4-5 sync clients. Besides, I don't think that number of zip files is actually high enough to greatly impact performance.

I can't imagine OmniFocus is even pegging a single core of your CPU either, so upgrading in that regard probably won't help much.

As for memory, as long as your iMac isn't swapping to disk (writing memory contents to disk to make room for new data), I don't think adding RAM will help much either. With 4 GB, you should be fine unless you've got some other memory-intensive apps running, like VMware Fusion or maybe Logic Pro. And even then, you'd probably be okay. I'm running 8 GB of RAM and didn't notice any change in performance in OmniFocus when I upgraded.

You could look into a faster hard drive, but you've probably already got a 7200-rpm drive in your iMac. So maybe an SSD or 10000-rpm drive might help. But those are expensive options for likely a very small performance gain in OmniFocus. Your launch times would probably improve though.

I don't know much about OmniFocus' internals or what obstacles the Omni developers are working against, but it seems to me that software optimization is likely where we'd find the greatest opportunity for significant performance improvements. Unfortunately, that's largely out of our hands. About the only thing we can do is let the Omni Group know that it's important to us and hope they give it some attention.

Have you sent feedback yet? If not, I strongly encourage you to do so. Performance improvements are my top feature request at this point.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2009-10-27 at 09:26 AM..