View Single Post
OK I'm going to continue to agreeing to disagree, and I'm going to continue to run as admin. The only thing I really care about on my machine is the home directory. Having world writeable folders in my Applications directory is not intentional, but that's the way the installers installed them and I haven't bothered to change them. I don't really see a huge problem with it. Bear in mind that I am the only user on my machine, so if anyone else was on it and finding those directories, then I'm already screwed. I'm going to concede defeat here for the sake of not having to reply again because I can't really say that running as admin is more secure, but I think that the difference in security is negligible in the long run, especially if the user knows and can be cajoled into handing over the admin user. I will not concede that running as admin is "the dumbest thing you can possibly do". It's a choice of convenience over a negligible security risk for something I don't really care about, and I think that were you to do a survey of respected Apple users (the Omni guys, Apple developers, whoever), you would find that most of them run as admin users. Of course that's pure speculation, but I believe it to be true.

Over and out, I can only repeat myself from here :)