View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
The rest of your post is highly confrontational. This part relates to something I brought up, so I'll answer it.
Agreed. However, I was responding to something that I felt was highly confrontational.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest
What affects a larger number of users? The JavaScript garbage collection issue. It has the potential to affect every single OW user.
Good example. I'm perfectly fine with valid examples of more important issues to focus on.

What I'm not fine with is those who frame this as an "either-or" debate, where one system MUST be the only way to do it. It's pretty clear that a large number of people like tabs as they are in OmniWeb, and a large number of people like them as they are in every other application. Sounds like something that should be (and should have always been) a preference. Finally, it's something Omni could continue to add its own flavor and spin to, once again taking something others have done and making it better.

How many users do you think have looked at OmniWeb, seen the lack of "normal" tabs and simply trashed it and moved on? It's hard to argue that OW users aren't aware of tabs - as a paid browser, I would expect it would attract more experienced users, who have likely used tabs extensively elsewhere.

I've been wanting to use OmniWeb since Mac OS X 10.0. At first it was the rendering engine that kept me away. Despite the herculean efforts of Omni, there was just no way they could keep up with the evolution of web standards. OmniWeb 5/5.1 brought in a fresh facelift and WebKit under the hood; I bought it and I really, really want to use it. But I can't sacrifice that much screen space for a handful of tabs.