View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefferyn View Post
we have a lot in common...
After reading your response, I think we may be clones...

Quote:
maybe because the contexts are supposed to "organize" the information into lists, whereas tags are things i search for when i know i need it... in that regard, tags can be more freeform and dynamic... contexts put things into lists when i'm not searching for something specific...
That is an interesting way of looking at tags vs contexts as well.

I have been thinking about the tags/multiple contexts vs contexts wars that have been going on in these forums since day one, and I was thinking that it may just be the way people are wired. But your points above are interesting too.

Quote:
also i try to work in context mode, but i find myself just picking the things i want to be a higher priority and changed them to a "today" context, where i keep to only a few things (which are more like projects that take many hours)... i've been using the scheduling to make things pop-up that i want to remember or plan for... but sometimes i'm not doing it right because i'll know that i need to do something and not see it pop-up OF... so i'll search for it and then find it... obviously better working contexts would help with this...
Let the cloning begin!

I find myself working this way too.I know it is a combination of things, partly because I have not been able to fully implement GTD. I have so many things on my plate, and they very dynamically switch to "what's most important now". Because I have never been able to take the time to make my work environment work for me: tools, clean through and organize files, etc., I find myself not being able to break through the surface for air.

In fact I have even been using the whiteboard in my office each day to write three things I want to get done that day. I am using it as a simple tool to try and change some habits. In the future I could see using the OF flag feature for this, similar to your Today context, but right now, I just can't seem to force-create myself to look into OF for the next thing to do. (And that is probably because I haven't fully implemented GTD yet)

Quote:
i know the "reviews" should be the tickler... but i get buried in "doing things" and i haven't been "reviewing" everything regularly... it seems a little confusing because i am accomplishing a lot, but not keeping up with the background management of the task...
I personally have to admit to primarily using OF as a capture and organizational device, the "trusted system", one place I know I can go to for anything I need to remember to do (and it is working for me for that—one step at a time!); and not very effectively using for doing (the context mode) and skipping the (all important to GTD) review part.

The funny thing is, I know this. I know if I took the extra time to clean and organize my physical space (which I am doing, new file cabinets and folders on order!), and spent time reviewing OF, it would greatly reduce my current stress, and improve my ability to stay on top of tasks and projects.

The bottom line is, like David Allen says in his book, until you fully implement all the pieces of the GTD system, you won't feel the benefit. (And all GTD is, is a series of smaller organizational tools that we have all been using half-way or part-way in one way or another, but it is refining those skills and putting them all together consistently that makes the difference).

Quote:
i'm sure i'm not being very GTD when in that mode... but it helps me accomplish a bigger task, then i can resume with the GTD processing to catch up on odds 'n ends... i'm not sure if that is "falling of the bandwagon"... thanks for your post... it's encouraging to know that i'm not the only one struggling with this... see you around-
I really feel your pain.

I would also recommend you look into Zen to Done:
http://zenhabits.net/2007/11/zen-to-...tivity-e-book/
http://zenhabits.net/2008/07/the-beg...a-guided-tour/

It is a quick-read PDF. It has some good ideas and approaches to GTD. It isn't a document that stands as well on its own—I think learning about the whole GTD process and the psychology behind GTD in David Allen's book is too important a read. But the ZTD booklet has some tips and thoughts that I have found useful. Particularly I think for people like me (and it sounds like you), who for one reason or another, can't get GTD fully implemented in a week.

Here is the first "idea" he presents:

"GTD is a series of habit changes. This is the main reason why people fall off the GTD system — it’s a bunch of habit changes that are attempted all at once. If you’ve read Zen Habits long enough, you know that focusing on one habit at a time is best, and guarantees the most success. In addition, GTDers don’t apply proven habit-change methods (the ones I talk about on this site) to change their habits.
Solution: ZTD focuses on one habit at a time."

Another useful tool I have found in the ZTD booklet is ideas and outlines for breaking old and forming new habits.

Last edited by joelande; 2009-02-07 at 10:06 AM..