View Single Post
Omniweb development has been in maintenance mode for a long long time. We've had a handful of new features since OW 5.0 was released four years ago, and numerous bug fixes and engine changes, but nothing at all like the interface and browsing improvements that OW5 brought over OW4.

I'd go so far as to say that other browsers have caught up, but I still use Omniweb for its interface niceties and site-specific preferences. If an Omniweb 6 worthy of the name doesn't show up in the next year or two, I might have to move on.

For what it's worth, here's some of what I would like to see in a hypothetical Omniweb 6:

site-specific user script
OW now has site specific CSS files, so why not javascript? It would be great if greasemonkey scripts had a chance of running out of the box (obviously, Mozilla APIs couldn't be supported, but if they could hook in and run in the same way, then simple scripts might work out of the box.

reinvent browser history
Omniweb's history is still like netscape 2.0's. How can this be improved? One thought would be to snap a thumbnail of every page viewed so that history could be browsed visually. There are problem

Steal from Safari/Firefox
There are some things Safari got right, like an in-browser view for bookmarks and history, rather than separate windows. Cherry pick the best of the other browsers

Drop Features
This is controversial, but I think Omniweb has too many features. Some stuff I've used in the past like bookmark syncing and rss support I've given up on. Do significant numbers of users use them? Maybe there are some things that can be cut to make it easier to maintain going forward.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts.