View Single Post
Same here, now that I can have effective ad blocking for all browsers with just one setup (and without using SIMBL, which always tends to mess up one or the other application through it's quirky code injection), OmniWeb has unfortunately lost yet another point of appeal. The last thing OmniWeb now has over other browsers are the site specific preferences, but for the most part I only used that for setting different zoom levels for each site which again can be had through the "no-squint" plugin for Firefox.

On Firefox however I dearly miss support for OS X Services, (alas, FF is not Cocoa, so I'm afraid we'll never get a working Services menue there) and also I'd like to have a way to be able to open text input fields as separate windows (or at least resize them).

My gripes with Safari are similar, one cannot set zoom settings on a per site basis and you don't get separator lines for the bookmarks on Safari, which I believe to be a glaring omission. I simply fail to comprehend why anyone would leave out something so useful and easy to implement.

Nevertheless I've been using the nightly WebKit builds for quite a while now and, while I hate the bookmarks being a mess with everything thrown in a big bucket feeling very disorganised without separators, I can live with it and I also like the new Web Inspector very much and the recent speed gains that really put OmniWeb to shame nowadays.

For a very short while OmniWeb was king of the hill in performance, but once Google's Chrome came out, all of a sudden everyone started squeezing the last bit of performance out of their JavaScript engines, so now we have much better implementations of those in the "bleeding edge" versions of Safari (aka WebKit) and Firefox (the 3.1 beta).

After reading the communication on this forum I cannot help but getting the impression that OmniWeb is a dying product, even some of their most furious fans (including me) are now grudginly moving on to other products and once they're gone, they're not so likely to come back.

I think it is a crying shame, because I still think OmniWeb has so much potential. I do understand the decision from OmniGroup's side, but if they really believe they cannot fully develop and thusly monetize on this product anymore then why, rather than letting a formerly brilliant product wither and die, why wouldn't they let the community nurture and improve it?

Why not open source it?

Last edited by arglborps; 2009-02-08 at 04:46 PM..