View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbell View Post
Using the GTD verbiage, I have a "20,000 feet" structure of Folders for my Planning view. It's perfect for me, and it seems like OF was meant to work this way, but in addition to my projects about each area of responsibility I have, I need a Single Action bucket in almost every folder as well.

It's fine, but it seems redundant to have the nice folder structure and then create buckets called Maintenance or Errands or whatever for each one. I'm wondering how other people deal with this, or if someone has a better suggestion for how to Plan?
Opinions vary on this. I do what you do, for the same reason; in most of my folders I have a Miscellany single action bucket. In a couple of folders I don't, because anything that goes in those folders is, by nature, a project. (One is a folder for book reviews that I'm writing; each book gets a distinct project.)

Others think that single actions shouldn't be in project view at all, because they don't need planning, just doing. Still others think that single actions and projects should exist on the same hierarchical level, and that the current distinction between folders, projects, action groups, and action groups should be collapsed. I prefer the current setup because it allows me to focus on areas of responsibility (which the first approach would render more difficult) and to maintain a conceptual distinction between commitments that will require a series of concrete actions to complete (projects) and those that can be accomplished in one concrete actions (single actions).

From an operational standpoint, I find it's very easy, when processing my inbox or using quick entry, to type a few letters from the folder name and then "misc" to quickly file single actions in the appropriate button. In that regard, the current setup suits me well.