Thread: Due dates
View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardripley View Post
Sometimes it takes a while to understand how to best set up OF. Is this an interface thing or me? I'm not sure but I do wonder about folks trying it for the first time.
I think it's neither you nor the interface. It's GTD, experience and expectations. I came into OF having tried a few other applications, after having read Getting Things Done and various websites a bunch. I had a very specific expectation for how a GTD, and a GTD application, should work.

I had a couple of specific project examples I used to test various features of GTD apps, and OF met my my needs most closely. And that was the key for me: I didn't try to jump in, dumping my dozens of projects, actions, etc. into OF. I already had a system (paper though it was), and I was just testing stuff out.

If you're coming to OF cold, with little or no experience using GTD, and no expectation for how a GTD app might work, you may have a tough time adjusting to OF. It uses languages and paradigms which are understood by GTD adherents, but perhaps not by those from other action-oriented organizing tools.

I found the best way to learn OF was to play. Toss in a project with actions you expect to show up in certain ways (a cooking receipe was mine) and see how the various filters, views, etc. affect it.