View Single Post
While it seems like a cool idea on the surface, proximity reminders seem like they could be very complicated to implement properly in an app like OmniFocus...
  • Firstly, what distance should you need to be within in order to trigger a proximity alarm? While I suppose it could be user-configurable, the vagaries of location services on the iPhone OS platform would mean that too small of a number may never trigger a proximity alert, and too large of a number may trigger false alerts.
  • The problem may be exacerbated even further by the way OS 4 will handle background location -- it sounds like by default it will only re-check location when you actually change cell towers, which means that if you're walking around a neighbourhood it may never re-check to figure out that you've come in proximity of a target location.
  • Alternatively, even if a full always-updating background location mode is available in the SDK, it would be hell on your battery life.
  • Further, it may not work on non-iPhone devices like the iPod touch or iPad at all if it's tied to cellular tower monitoring.
IMHO, unreliable alerts would be worse than no alerts at all because you'd fall out of the habit of checking the app and instead rely on notifications that you might not receive consistently.
------------
I think people who have seen google maps track them as a "blue dot" as they walk down the street will struggle with the concept that this is hard to organise. I know i do. I mean I hear what you are saying but I really don't like it! This is very bad news. Hopefully no one really thinks people wil be driving or walking Down a street with an ipad for directions!! I suppose a passenger could have one in their lap but gps for ipad doesn't seem relevant. ?

Last edited by Casper TFG; 2010-04-26 at 03:43 PM..