View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
IMO, a small screen like that of my MacBook is exactly where inspectors make the most sense. If the information in a typical inspector view is always in view, I wouldn't be able to see as much context, or the display would be undesirably cluttered. The inspector approach allows me to spend that real estate only when I need it, and in a fashion that isn't constrained by the need to fit in a border to the normlal view.

That's not to say that the friction in the current implementation couldn't be reduced. A keyboard shortcut to change focus to/from the inspector is something often mentioned as a potential improvement.
First, to my experience people who tend to use todo managers are type of persons that prefer keyboard to mouse clicking because it is a huge time saver. And Mac has very poor navigation through menus and toolbars.

Second, Main Window does not necessarily means there should be dozens of buttons that always take space. It could be smart toolbars that call only relevant buttons or right-mouse menus.

Third, have you ever used Ribbon introduced by Microsoft and later by Mindjet and other companies? To me this seems to be the most effective and obvious interface to use programs functions. It has great keyboard support as well - you will never even need to use pointer. But even without Ribbon right-click menus are preferrable to inspectors. Menus don't occupy space you need for work.