View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by curt.clifton View Post
I use folders for life roles and for goals within those roles. I keep life purpose and vision level stuff in separate OmniOutliner files. I don't feel a need to refer to this higher level stuff on a day-to-day basis, so long as the shorter term goals in OF are supportive of the higher levels. Maintaining that relationship is something that I accomplish with monthly and annual reviews.
The way that I work it is to have three core folders in my Projects list: Higher Levels; Work; and Life. Splitting between "Work" stuff and "Life" stuff lets me create perspectives which help me focus better, so, for example, I have a Perspective which only shows me things in the "Work" folder for when I'm in at work (which isn't always in the office, which is why a Context isn't enough to do the job).

For dealing with the 20,000ft level - Areas of Responsiblity - I use folders within "Work" and "Life". So, for example, my "Work" folder contains a folder called "Staff Development" which contains all the projects to do with developing my team.

The "Higher Levels" folder is where I deal with the 30,000ft and above bits. Each level has a folder. 30,000ft, for example, is where I put "Goals". Goals are kind of proto-projects: Things that I want to do over the next year, but which I've either not fully-defined all the steps for, or which take place over a slow-burn period of time. Sometimes "Goals" will get split out into sub-projects, and move into the "Work" or "Life" folders. Other times, they'll just stay where they are as a reminder. But either way, I make sure they are regularly reviewed.

At the 40,000ft and 50,000ft levels, things get a little more fuzzy. But basically, at those levels (Long-term objectives and Core Values) I use OmniFocus more like an outlining tools. For example, at 50,000ft I have a Project for each core value, but nothing ever gets checked off within them - it's just a reminder and breakdown of what the value is and means.

Hope that helps!