View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by duodecad
So if single items are going to go into some default place if you don't enter a project for them, I'd rather see that place be a project-like bucket-- a default "Single Actions" project or folder or something like that.

For what it's worth, this is why it makes sense to me to just create a project called "single tasks" and then dump my single tasks in there, and mark it as a "parallel" project so that tasks can be done in any order. The only thing I'd like to see beyond that is the idea suggested above, where for this particular bucket/project/whatever-you-call-it, you could have it show n next actions where n is a user-defined number-- or you could set it to "all" so that OF shows them all as next actions, no matter how many single tasks you've got in there. That would be really fantastic!
How about instead of a "dedicated" project that you create yourself for Singletons, OmniFpcus creates a "Smart Project" which consists of singletons that are not assigned to a project?

I don't know why, but I freak out a bit when I click on the Clean Up button, and all of my "singletons" disappear from Project View. I know I can see them just fine over there in Context View, but it makes me feel like data loss has occurred....

I think I like this Smart Project concept - it could have a different icon/color and be called "Singletons" or "No Project"
I like it over some of the other suggestions because:

- it allows singletons to be viewed in Project View - eliminates that feeling that there is data missing
- it gets them out of the Inbox
- it requires no "additional work" - it is done automatically on "Clean Up" and does not have to be assigned to a Project by drag-and-drop (and you do not have to create the Project"
- it eliminates the weird feeling you get when you drag a singleton to a project - because even as you do it, you know this task isn't part of a project, and it just feels funny - it takes your mind off of GTD
- it is more consistent with GTD, because you are not filing a task into a no-real Project, it is more like a "convenience grouping" within the Project View of OF
- it is elegant