View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by colicoid View Post
About those "application holes" that reveal files on the desktop.
I was doing the whole putting icons in special places on the desktop dance too for a while. It's impossible to work like that. If you save out a file to the desktop from e.g. photoshop you are using the Save As dialog which doesn't let you place the file with DnD, so it just ends up at the next available location. Bah!
OK, maybe it presents some challenges, but impossible? I don't think it's impossible.

The gist of my argument is that, IMHO, it's better to have layered windows with some degree of visibility to other UI objects (icons, other windows, etc). More visibility is better. Some of the ways this can be achieved is by using a larger display, increasing your screen resolution, reducing the size of your windows, positioning items so they are all accessible at the same time, taking advantage of software features like Exposé and Spaces, etc. There are trade-offs to all of these options and none of them are a sure-fire win. To stack the odds in your favor, however, it's wise to take advantage of as many of these options as you can.

For me, full screen windows are antithetical to the modern, multi-window GUI. Full-screen windows represents the very technical limitations the computer usability industry struggled to solve decades ago. To go back to that paradigm is to disregard all those important advancements. But that's just me, and I do use fullscreen windows on occasion, but OmniFocus is not one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by colicoid View Post
1. You are in an application; say OF. and want to drag a file from the desktop into it.
2. Reveal the desktop using exposé keyboard shortcut.
3. Drag the file from the desktop to the OF icon in the dock and press SPACE.
4. Boom! OF is revealed in all its glory and you can now drop your file into it.
In step #3, why not just hit the Exposé keyboard shortcut again to return to the app you were at? Wouldn't that be easier than dragging and pressing spacebar (which, incidentally, doesn't seem to be working here), especially since you finger is already yon the Exposé button?

-Dennis