View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturm View Post
@CatOne: I don't suppose you could tell me where to find the manual? Since it's an iOS app and not a physical copy of software purchased in a store, I've no idea how to access a manual. Also, I have double-checked that the notifications for OF are, indeed, active in iOS's Settings.
Tap the gear menu, then Help. On your PC, go to the OmniFocus product page (via the link in iTunes) and click on the Manual button, or use this link: http://www.omnigroup.com/ftp/pub/sof...d%20Manual.pdf
Quote:
@whpalmer4: All I know is OmniFocus has a setting that it will remind you a set amount of time before a task's start/due date & time. I had it set to 30 minutes, but no notification appeared. And by the way, I had entered the task weeks ago, not minutes before it was to notify my—that would be silly.
It's before the due date, there is no such option for start date. It sounds like you may have missed a setting somewhere; I find it to be very reliable.

Did you enter the due date weeks ago as well? It's not when the task was entered that is at issue, but when the due date is. In the calendar-based reminders, OmniFocus has to sync that information to a calendar and then the Calendar app has to sync to retrieve it, and depending on your calendar settings, that may not happen very quickly. Your best bet would be to contact Omni support and have them walk through all the settings with you.
Quote:
So if I'm supposed to use the calendar for time-specific appointments, then why does OF support sending information to iOS's Calendar app? Which, by the way, I am unable to set up. I tap the "Subscribe in Calendar" option under "Calendar Alarms", but it doesn't appear to accept my Omni sync login credentials—it repeatedly asks me for them.
This was done so that people without ubiquitous internet access could still get a reminder of an impending due item, back when Apple did not provide a 3rd party API for sending notifications. OmniFocus would create a calendar and populate it with "appointments" corresponding to the due reminders you wanted, and the Calendar app (which being an Apple-provided app could issue those notifications) would alert you to your upcoming "appointment". Again, for trouble-shooting this, your best bet is probably to contact Omni and take advantage of their fine support, which is part of what you get for your money. 1-800-315-6664 or +1-206-523-4152.
Quote:
Okay, so if I'm not supposed to use OF for time-specific reminders, then am I supposed to use iOS's built-in Calendar app? It seems like that's an extra step that should be unnecessary. Perhaps I'm thinking incorrectly, but I figured OF should be a one-stop-shop for putting everything you need to be reminded of future tasks & projects.
The forecast view available in the iPad and iPhone OmniFocus apps makes an effort to integrate the calendar in a read-only fashion for the next week, so that you can see those items in a more convenient fashion. But again, OmniFocus is not intended as a calendar replacement. If you think it should be, why stop there? Why not a spreadsheet, word processor, drawing tool, etc? After you see what you need to do, why not just get to work in the same app?