View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberV View Post
"Heavy use" would be going a bit far.
OK. I just based my comment on the screenshots I could find: one image with multiple inspectors/palettes showing and no images with multiple drawers. Of course, the software in the real world may vary.

Come to think of it, Panic's Transmit uses drawers on the side and bottom too.

Quote:
For the record, in terms of interface I prefer interior panes. Drawers look ugly, to me...
If someone had asked me a year or two ago, I would have said drawers looked fine. But now, I think I agree with you - interior panes and sidebars do look a little better. But that might just be a result of current UI trends on the Mac. A lot of apps seem to be moving away from drawers.

Quote:
...palettes annoy me as they are too difficult to close (Cmd-W acts unpredictably, and the buttons are too small), and do not behave themselves when it comes to stacking. Always-on-top is rarely useful to me.
All Omni apps use Command-Shift-I to toggle visibility of their inspector palette. That's pretty handy for me. iWork does the same thing (but with Command-Option-I).

Always-on-top and the fact they can be positioned independently from the main window offers a lot of flexibility for small screens and multiple displays. I'd hate to lose that with an "all-in-one-window" approach.

In general, I'm not particularly fond of the "all-in-one-window" design. In my view, it seems to defeat the purpose of the multi-window environment we've strived for since the mid-80s. Lukas Mathis makes some good points about why "all-in-one" is bad in his MDIs on the Mac blog post.

-Dennis

Last edited by Toadling; 2008-08-13 at 01:56 PM.. Reason: Added article link