View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
One could say that the best practice would be to not use a capture tool to apply the process stage of GTD ;) Seriously though, that is what we are discussing here. In GTD the collection process occurs before the successful outcome/next action phase of the workflow, and the Quick Entry command is a collection process.

I agree (see, I'm not that contrarian :) This is collection, not process, and the process phase is explicitly meant to elicit successful outcome + next physical action. I do frequently hit the keyboard shortcut, enter just a few words in the first field, then Command+K it away.

On the other hand, sometimes I know the successful outcome but not the next action. But then the successful outcome tends to end up in the next action field. And in my training + coaching practice I notice that depending on whether you tend towards micromanager or crazymaker, you tend to omit either successful outcome or the physical next action.

What would probably work even better (for me, at least, being of the micromanagement kind) would be:
1. having a free format quick entry form (possibly enhanced with the same parsing mechanism as the Mail-to-Omnifocus thingie so that you can enter either "Mom" or "Call Mom for recipe > Make chocolate chip cookies @Calls-Private #tomorrow $1h")

2. An inbox-processing mode, whereby one by one OF would present each item on its own (I tend to get sidetracked if I see more than one) and ask me to define a successful outcome, a physical next action, and a context.

Hm. Would #2 be scriptable, I wonder?

// later
Bleh. I just learned I can dispense with #1 headache here by using Alfred's entry box + this little script. Still looking for #2 though.

Last edited by raxtor; 2011-12-01 at 04:38 AM..