View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by daiglebox View Post
The problem is, it doesn't go far enough to cover "the rest of us."

Here's what makes DA different than me and (statistically) you: DA is The Boss.

DA can look at any given Context list and decide what's important at that moment for where he is and what tools are at hand. I can't. My boss decides what's important - and when he tells me, I better have a way of marking those actions accordingly.
I'm not sure I agree. In my experience, most "knowledge workers" have at least some discretion in choosing what to work on at any given moment, as long as the deadline is met. This certainly holds true for me and the vast majority of my coworkers. But every situation is different, so let's assume your assertion is true.

I use flags for marking items as important and give items due dates if they're urgent. This has worked extremely well for me. I think the distinction between importance and urgency is significant, so I like to view them in separate lists.

In addition to this, I've been experimenting with a "dynamic" perspective that focuses on the projects I'm currently working on. It changes frequently, sometimes multiple times in a day. I select the projects that are currently hot, hit the focus button, and update the perspective snapshot. This gives me a narrow list of just the items I want to work on right now.

-Dennis