View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by danasutton@mac.com
Omni likes to boast (and very justifiably so) about how Mac-like OmniWeb is. Well, here is a significant and, I think, quite unjustified departure from a standard Mac GUI convention, according to which an app. opens a window in the same location, and of the same size and shape, as its immediate predecessor.
I know that TextEdit (from Apple) certainly does not have that behavior. Neither does Terminal. Finder keeps track of the window size based on the directory it starts on (that is, it remembers the size you had your home directory at, but if you switch to your desktop and resize, then a new finder window will still have the size you last had for your home directory, not the latest window).

Can you show me an example of an app that is not a web browser with that behavior or a reference in the Apple Human Interface Guidelines? There are some guidelines regarding multiple monitors and making sure the new windows are on the same screen--but in the single monitor case they don't really specify and they explicitly state that the size of the window is to be determined by the application.

Web browsers got the behavior you mention with IE which changed behavior not with previous window modified but the most recently closed window which was really annoying with the introduction of popup windows.