View Single Post
Hey all,

First time poster, long time lurker here.

I've been trying to tweak my OF usage for a long time. I really like having OF handy all the time and I use it a lot to capture stuff I think about doing when on the go. That mostly involves thing to read, things to learn, etc. I'm a medical student, so that kind of actionable stuff (the intellectual sort) is mostly what I have to do.

I know the traditional GTD methodology recommends a Someday/Maybe folder for projects that are far off or indefinite. With a physical filing system, I understand the need for such a folder, so that those projects which are not currently active stay out of view. But with OF, we have the luxury of having an "On Hold' feature that puts projects that we're not working on at the moment out of view.

So my question is, is there even a need for a Someday/Maybe folder in OF? Can't we just use On Hold for everything that we're not doing at the moment?

And as a corollary to that, doesn't that make OF an acceptable place to keep lists of things we'd like to do (such as movie lists, reading lists, shopping lists, etc) so long as they stay out of view and we review them periodically? I ask this because I've seen it said that OF should not be the place where you dump your book lists or learning lists. People tend to use other programs for that, like Omnioutliner or Devonthink. But I'm trying to reduce the number of programs I use. I want to have a go-to place to dump actionable stuff, and OF could serve that role entirely.

Sorry for the long post and multiple questions. Thanks in advance.