View Single Post
I don't speak for Omni, but I can't resist asking some questions.

On the infrequent occasions when I use Firefox (typically only to visit a site where WebKit-based browsers such as Safari or OmniWeb aren't handled correctly), if I need to capture a page URL, I just hit my keyboard shortcut to bring up the quick entry window, cmd-' to open the notes field, and drag over the URL, using the icon to the left of the URL bar. Assigning context, project, editing action name, start and/or due dates typically swamps the few seconds required to capture the URL, most of which is spent waiting for OmniFocus to initially respond thanks to my overgrown database.

I don't dispute that Firefox is a popular browser, over the population of all web users, but I wonder how popular it is with the population of OmniFocus users? Omni uses standard Mac OS X functionality to implement the clipping feature; Firefox is the party not implementing all of the pieces here. While an argument can certainly be put forth that the relative sizes of the populations mean that Omni ought to implement something to help out, it isn't clear that requests for such support are actually present in sufficient numbers to move the project up the priority list for Omni. A quick search for "firefox" on the OmniFocus forums turns up a surprisingly small number of hits, many of them not relating to the clipping service but rather things like "can you build a Firefox plugin that I can use on my PC at work so I can have access to OmniFocus there?"

If Brian does happen to chime in on this, perhaps he'll tell us just how far down the list the request for some sort of Firefox clipping support is. My guess is that there are a lot of features with more requests, and that there might be quite a wait. Unless you're tied to some Firefox plugin, why not upgrade to a superior browsing experience, such as OmniWeb?