View Single Post
To clarify:
Firefox
- With two or more tabs, FF shows Close Window (command+shift+w) and Close Tab (command+w)
- With one tab, FF shows just Close (command+w)*

Safari
- With two or more tabs, Safari shows Close Window (command+shift+w) and Close Tab (command+w)
- With one tab, Safari shows Close Window (command+w)** Close Tab is grayed out.

I agree that it's slightly strange OW Close Tab option works the same as Close Window when only one tab is open. However, I think both the FF and Safari alternatives are a bit odd as well.

*For FF, it just says "Close." This could be confusing as some apps have used "Close" to mean "Quit." In other words, it would quit the entire app. Just "Close" seems a bit vague.

**For Safari, I don't like how the keyboard shortcut for one option suddenly changes based on the number of tabs that are open. That also does not seem like a clean way to do it.

From a keyboard perspective, all three ways work the same so I'm happy with all three ways. I realize there are other factors here that don't apply to how I use the browsers in question. Maybe there's another solution that would be the best of all worlds. That said, I haven't cared in the past what the options were named, so I just hope that the keyboard shortcuts remain the same.