View Single Post
First off: Browse through the archives on this forum. There's LOTS of advice and opinions on the best way to structure your workflow, outside of OmniFocus itself.

Some ideas based on specific questions, in no particular order:

Reviews:

Review frequently. I skim through my list every 1-3 days, and try to do a detailed review/inbox purge at least once a week. When I stick to it, my life becomes much easier and I stop caring about how many more Applescripts I need to get my workflow PERFECT. Review is the key component of GTD, and one that is overlooked by software because it cannot be automated. (excepting an iCal reminder and some blocked out time)

Reference Material:

Software has its place. I like Yojimbo, myself, for keeping random notes. It can encrypt data and it's easy to get information into/out of it. Plus Applescript support. I'm sick of apps that don't support scripting. If they're a key part of my workflow, they've got to have it. YMMV.

But the software is secondary to HAVING the documentation. Spotlight makes it easy to keep your information in individual files (text, docs, spreadsheets, whatever is appropriate) and folders without the need for a snippet program.

Better to DO than to futz with software. Although the futzing is fun, it isn't DOING.

Waiting/Stalled:

A waiting is a reminder of someone else's action. But it is my action as well. They have the football, but I still want to make the touchdown. (If I don't care and I've just passed it off, I won't store a "waiting" action -- it's up to them if they want to hand it back to me)

On my review, I'll say, "Gee, Louise STILL hasn't gotten me that spreadsheet, I'd better call her up" and I'll do just that. Probably right then, too. (2-minute rule)

Capture:

Don't rely on your tech. NOTHING works better than a pen and paper. I keep a couple business cards in my wallet for the usual reasons. As likely as not, they end up with scribbled notes. (I've gotten used to asking strangers if I can borrow their pen)

Emailing, JOTTing, and even leaving yourself a phone message to get your tasks into your inbox is all totally fair, and often faster than loading a program, keeping your battery charged, etc.

Perspectives, Views, Contexts:

You can waste a lot of time trying to get things perfect. My first run (with Kinkless GTD) had me setting up DOZENS of contexts, many of which I never, ever, ever, used. Now I have four. They change, though, all the time. Perspectives change even more often. (Nothing like a toolbar button to focus in on your #1 project so you can make some progress on it!)

Your workflow and your software are mutable and are there to serve you. Any decisions you make now are only set in bits and bytes. You can re-context, re-project, and re-factor your plans to whatever seems better once you get into it.

For now, capture everything, define your next action (don't worry about planning the whole project if it isn't right there in your head -- decide what to do NEXT and put it on the list, then move on), keep track of your open loops (projects), and keep your eye on the prize (goals).

Sorry, I get preachy on this stuff, but I speak from experience. Take it or leave it. :)