View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasong View Post
The difference is that in 1.8, my No Context list is polluted unnecessarily if I don't assign a default context, or all my items get a default context that may not match reality and lead to open loops.

And if I did want to use an *actual* default context for some reason? Then I have to track down the item with the "wrong" default context, which should have a different default context, leading to the "loss" of items by placing them in the wrong context.

I don't tend to use default contexts, because I want to chance to review my items with no context and ensure they're properly categorized. It destroys my workflow to put everything into a default "Review" (or whatever) context, because that means items without a context no longer show up on "No Context", they show up in "Review", and I have to look at possibly dozens of projects and actions, mixed together, only some of which are actually actionable.

Hiding the projects, and using Available instead of Remaining may be a workaround. The inaccurate number of items in a context remains an issue, and disturbs my attempts at "mind like water".
I can see how you find this not helpful since you do have to change the workflow.

This is something I used to do when I used LifeBalance, and now I can implement this in OF.

Every project gets the default context that matches most of actions in the project - this way I don't have to enter the context again.

I put filter to things that are available in the context area so that I can only see things I can work on. Even Next action filter should block projects.

The only time projects will show is when it's empty. If a project shows up, I decide to act on the project itself: add more action items; put project on hold and assign a new context (such as Review), mark the project complete, or drop it.

If I add more action items, the project will no longer show in the context view; so, the problem solved.

If I drop the project or complete it, it's done.

Now with the project on hold and with a new context, I can set up the perspective to track these pretty easily.

Let's say I decide to reactivate the project (take it out of hold) and add a new item, but I forgot to change the default context (i.e., it remains as Review). Then the new action items in the project will inherits "Review" as the context, and that's not what I want. However, if I look at what's under Review, I should be able to find the new action item pretty easily. [Right now I believe there is a bug in the context view under remaining that complicates the matter.] Then I can change these items' context easily.

Yes, this does require you to change your workflow, and some people may not like it, and thus, the option to disable this completely (& fixing the bug on counters of course).

However, as some of us have said, I find this feature extremely helpful when using another program (nothing falls through the cracks and I get stuff done earlier than my periodic review would allow); so, I welcome the change in OF.

Now one new feature that might solve your issue might be to have the ability to assign a different contexts to projects/groups themselves that are different than default context (e.g., projects or action groups), that way, we can track these easily in the context view if they show up.

Again, YMMV.

Last edited by ksrhee; 2010-02-22 at 01:01 AM..