View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
, the case I was referring to there is that of a project which has as its next action something that is in an on-hold context, such as I sometimes use for my Waiting For contexts. If work on some project is stalled until I get the new disk drive, I'm going to check the order status and/or tracking info on the order occasionally to make sure it is going to get to me in the expected timeframe, so that I can make other arrangements if UPS decides they can't find my house (I'm not kidding), or the vendor doesn't ship on schedule, or whatever.
Ahh... I'm getting a better picture of your workflow.

For me, I don't use the on hold status of a context for waiting for.

I have a waiting for context that is active.
When I want to place an action into waiting for, I put a start date on that action in the future. It disappears from the active context list and I won't see it until the start date. If I want to view all waiting fors, I change the context filter to remaining.

The nice thing about this workflow is, if all my waiting fors have a future start date, the waiting for context disappears from the active list. As soon as the current time passes an action's start date, the action appears and so does the waiting for list. I then know I have waiting for items to process.

If an action in the waiting for context needs more time, I give it a future start date, it disappears and so does the waiting for context.

I have an action in my Process Collection buckets called:
process waiting for actions to 0
that repeats every day.

When I get to that action, I look to see if the waiting for context is visible, if it is, I look at the actions and either:
• move the start date to the future
• create a follow up action to find out what the status is
• complete the waiting for action

Once the waiting for context list disappears, I know I have processed the waiting for actions for the day.