View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikulla View Post
I'm having a hard time figuring out the best way to organize my projects and contexts.

As an example:

I have 2 companies. Art Gallery and Commercial Photography. Each one has a website and other sub projects involved.

Should I keep main project folders of:
Art Gallery
Commercial Photography

or

Websites
Prints
Shoots
I would probably make two folders, Art Gallery
and Commercial Photography, as you mention above. Each of these would have various projects, like so:

Art Gallery
o redesign website
- action 1a
- action 1b
- action 1c

o pay the bills
- action 2a
- action 2b
- action 2c

Commercial Photography
o redesign website
- action 3a
- action 3b
- action 3c

o pay the bills
- action 4a
- action 4b
- action 4c

Each of the actions would have an associated context. So, lets say that the context for all the actions in "redesign website" (for for Art Gallery and Commercial Photography) had a context of Online. Then, in context mode, you would see

Online:
- action 1a
- action 1b
- action 1c
- action 3a
- action 3b
- action 3c

Is this what you mean? Planning mode is basically a list of your projects with all their associated actions, organised however you fell is best. Context mode is again a list of you actions, but now organised according to what "mode" you are working on.

Each of your projects, for example, might have actions that required you to call someone. Then, when viewing the projects in Planning mode, you would see the calls you have to make for that project only. In context mode, if you have a context named "Calls" then if you viewed that context, you would see all the calls you have to make for all your projects.

When you're actually doing stuff, it is (usually) better to look at things in context mode. When planning things out, then Planning Mode is a better fit.

Quote:
Should I keep a main folder of Bills with sub projects for each company?
I would probably put the bills with each project since that is where they belong. Now, if you usually pay all your bills together, you could give each bill-related task a context of "Bill Paying". In context mode, you could then get a list of all your bills for all your projects.

Is this the sort of thing you are asking?