View Single Post
at the risk of sounding like a stuck record, i keep coming back - with some frustration - to the issue of integrated workflow between omni apps, because i keep hitting the same workflow blocks. bottom line is, i want to use the same data from conception to execution, using omni apps for my entire workflow, without copying and pasting and messing around, but it's simply not available, and the company has been resolutely noncommittal about the idea - as if it's some can of worms that must be avoided, like suggesting that pakistan possibly isn't 100% america's friend and ally. (is it permitted to be so _controversial_ in a software forum?).

i'd like to begin with unstructured capture of ideas, in some kind of mind map (as graphically rich or sparse as desired). then i'd like to begin to expand on those ideas in an outliner, being able to switch back to the mind map for overview and visual perspective. i'd like to select or link elements of the mind map/outline data set to an organisation chart or flowchart or whatever structured organisation is required. then i'd like to assign to any of that data timeline, gantt, and resource properties. then i'd like to expand that project management data into discrete actions in a todo/action manager view.

in omni terms, this would be realised as follows:

- omnimap mindmap for rapid idea generation/brainstorming/unstructured input (with organic graphic mindmap capability as with novamind >
- same data viewable in omnioutliner for expansion of ideas (switchable view between outline and mindmap) >
- omnigraffle for structural overview / flowchart / organisation (select subset of mindmap, or limited number of levels of objects to view in omnigraffle)
- omniplan for timeline and resource allocation / critical path project management
- omnifocus for individual action

i suspect i'm not the only one who would like to work in this or similar ways, so would be interested to hear from others on this topic.

i keep seeing comments with concerns about feature bloat / over complexity if the omni apps get integrated into a suite. at the same time, pretty much every user is having to jump through hoops with multiple software manufacturers to approximate the workflow they want. feature rich software only becomes an issue if that complexity is not elegantly implemented, and is in a user's face all the time. i would argue that each of the omni apps is already heavy in complexity, but that that complexity generally does not come at the expense of being able to use the apps in a more visually streamlined simple way.

it seems to me that using the same dataset from conception through to execution is an elegant avoidance of complexity, by simply making the data viewable from whatever perspective is required.

i'm not suggesting that this omnisuite could be cooked up over a leisurely weekend by a couple of omni interns. i am suggesting however that the advantages of such an integrated approach would make highly worthwhile making the strategic decision to consolidate and integrate omni data formats across the various visual and organisational perspectives that the omni apps currently offer. this is not impossible or unfeasible - but it does require a committed decision to make happen. much like transition to os x, or intel as a processor platform for the mac. painful, but ultimately hugely beneficial.

in short, there are currently very few options for information management which allow a user to go from broad view high concept to project management to concrete implementation using the same dataset from inception to completion, taking into account the way that the human brain hemispheres work together. i see omnigroup as ideally placed to capitalise on this. merlin and novamind go a considerable way towards what i'm pointing to, but i'm a sucker for the omni look and feel.

what do you say, omnigroup?