View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by psidnell View Post
Dropbox does file level sync, but it's the potentially more efficient record level sync of iCloud that interests me.
This clearly doesn't happen, and I can't remember why I thought this would be the case. Perhaps I was over interpreting some throw-away comment in the launch keynote.

I've been using iCloud + Numbers for a while now and while it does work, I'm a little underwhelmed.

If I have a large spreadsheet on my phone and add a single new row, it seems (judging by how long it takes) to be uploading the entire file, which is both unnecessary and slow - particularly over 3g.

And of course if the upload takes a long time it greatly increases the risk of failure (due to loss of 3g/WiFi) and hence a sync conflict if I later assume the file has been pushed out everywhere - but hasn't.

I frequently find myself in a situation where my iPad and or iPhone are both stuck in some indeterminate state with the document showing an unmoving empty progress bar under the document with the possible embellishment of an arrow.

At this point I usually have to leave it for an hour or so, reboot the devices and hope the correct document version wins since there is no user control that allows me to cancel or retry the sync.

This is a real pain since I want to know that the document is saved (or not) to the cloud NOW while I'm in good WiFi rather than have it have it try and fail 25 times from the trunk of my car as I drive to work.

It's made me appreciate just how robust and useable the OmniFocus sync is.

Anyone have any news on what the sync plans are for OmniOutliner?