View Single Post
This is in response to whpalmers' thoughtful comments.

First, let me say that I read these forums with some frequency, and have great respect for your devotion to OF, your opinions, and your willingness and ability to help others. Sounds like a "but" is coming, but it's not. I mean that.

Re-reading my post, it does sound more critical than I meant it to. I have for years trusted my life to OF, and still think it is the best thing of its kind out there. I have no doubt the issue is with me; the problem is not with the arrows, it's with the archer.

That said, let me try to explain myself, or perhaps, ask the question in a better way. My issue is that, if I am being accurate, my only real contexts are Home, Office, Computer, Phone, and Errands, with the Computer and Phone overlapping Home and Office, because I am always within a few feet of my phone, and rarely more than 30 yards from my computer. Accordingly, there are a few physical acts that can only be done in one place or another (mow the lawn at home, review certain unscan-able documents at the office), with the vast, vast majority of everything else going into the "computer" context. I do divide that into things I can do online or off, but even so those lists are, for me, just too long. I review by project, and I use start dates extensively, but even so, to look at the computer list is too daunting. Now, I go through and flag stuff that I want/need to do from that list, but honestly, I am finding it more and more cumbersome to arrange my tasks, and less and less feel like I am in that "mind like water" place I crave.

All this is a long way of asking, how do you break things down? I have tried the "true GTD" of where or what you need to accomplish a task, and have tried variations discussed here, such as Sven's: http://simplicityisbliss.com/post/15...ke-on-contexts, but didn't love that either.

whpalmer, you seem to have things broken down into about 80 contexts, and you seem OK with having 1661 in one. How do you deal with being confident that you are working on the right thing, or more importantly, not missing something?

Finally, as for the tweaking, I think my frustration comes from the fact that Omni was pushing out developments on a regular basis and that has slowed; Ken Case himself discussed this somewhere, when he said, in essence, that the development of the iPhone and iPad versions took precedence. That's fine, and I understand and appreciate the need to allocate resources effectively; I would, however love to have the forecast view on my Computer. As for the flagship product remark, that was based, perhaps erroneously, on Case's comments, that OF was not the company's biggest revenue producer. It was not meant as a slam, or a suggestion that OF was somehow the red-headed step child of Omni, but just acknowledging the fact that Omni was, apparently, assigning their resources in the most effective, and presumably, profitable, way possible, as they should. It's a business, and I want them to make money. My rant above was, ironically, that I wish they would come up with a 2.0 so they might propel me out of my self created malaise and take more of my cash.

Again, whpalmer, I want to express that I do appreciate your comments and input, and will continue to use, and appreciate, OF. I am just trying to learn to use it better.

Last edited by wdiadamo; 2012-01-10 at 01:47 PM..