View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by r48 View Post
OK, here's my understanding of how it works: Project status refers to the overall condition of a project - for example, a project that's on hold is suspended for awhile, but may become active again at some point. The dropped status is for projects that you don't intend to come back to.

On the other hand, view statuses refer to the "availability" of actions. Remaining shows all the actions that are still not completed; next shows the next action in each sequential project; available actions are the ones that can be done because their start date and time has passed. (They may be blocked if they belong to a sequential project and there are preceding actions that are still undone.)

A context can have a status because it may be temporarily unavailable for some reason. This can apply to a person or another resource.

(If I'm wrong about any of this, I'm sure the more experienced people will chime in.)
I'll add there's two other statuses for projects, "Pending" and "Stalled".

You can't assign a project the status of pending, it gets automatically assigned for any project with a future start date. That project will appear in the "Remaining" filter but not the "Active" filter (since it's not active yet). So if you have a project you can't start yet or want out of the "Active" view but want it to come back later, assign it a start date.

You also can't assign a project the status of "Stalled". A stalled project is one that has no more remaining (i.e. yet to be completed) next actions associated with it. A stalled project is still considered "Active", since presumably you still plan to keep working on it. Switching the project filter to "Stalled" is great for getting projects moving or cleaning out OF during a review.