View Single Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avrum68 View Post
Ugh. So that's why some folks are running over to Things and The Hit List (which I left to come here).

I guess that's why some people resist contexts and thus resist using OmniFocus (and choose either Hit List or Things). They're not comfortable with the GTD idea of contexts yet.

Using contexts allows you to group similar tasks together for batch processing. It's much easier to finish similar tasks in a batch process when you have a context list showing items that can be done at one time.

Contexts are things that can be done like:

1. when you have access to a telephone, you can make phone calls. (Context = phone)

2. when you have wifi access, you can access the internet to do some research tasks (Context = computer with online access).

3. when you have your e-mail program open, you can process your inbox items or send e-mail out. (Context = computer with e-mail program)

4. when you are at your hardware store, there are a list of items to purchase (Context = hardware store)

5. when you are at home, there are tasks and projects that can only be done at the house. (Context = home)

I love contexts - the ability to view all your tasks/projects in certain contexts - things that can be done only in the house; things that can be done only when you're at your computer; things that can only be done when you're at a client's office, etc.

The folks that don't like or want to use contexts will feel more comfortable with Hit List and Things because those two programs don't really impress the use of contexts on to people. But they can "tagged" with contexts.

When I was introduced to the idea of contexts via GTD, it helped me to batch similar tasks together. All my phone tasks are done in one batch. All of my office routines are done in one batch.

It seems that people who are comfortable with GTD and contexts will choose OmniFocus over the Hit List or Things.

But there is no right or wrong way..... Use what you have, adapt GTD to fit your style (whether you use contexts or not). As long as you can get things done, that's the main point....

Last edited by wilsonng; 2009-01-19 at 08:14 PM..