The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Managing short term focus Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I manage GTD using horizons of focus buckets:

OmniFocus for handling runway as actions, and 10k' as projects or single actions lists.

OmniOutliner handles 20k' through 50k'.

Yet I continue to struggle with a clean way to for where and how to list current, short/er term focus items. Ideally these would be neatly subsumed into horizons of focus buckets. Actions I want to do today could be flagged (in OF). But I'm (also) talking also about themes, like:

- A short term need to put extra emphasis on health / exercise / relaxation, where the theme isn't a project; it is an area of 'focus or responsibility (20k')', but I want to focus more on a small subset of my 20k' actions -- things I'm on fire about.

- Get caught up.

- Focus massively on project x.

- Focus on a subset part of a project (I suppose ideally that can be handled with flagging or manual ordering in OF).

I realize that keeping things simple, by using a smaller number of tools/methods is good. Yet I'm drawn to doing a brain dump of what's on my mind for my most important short term directions, in a single list. But the more I do that, the less effectively I think I may be using the 20k' (etc.) bucket(s).

I do a weekly review, and that is useful, but I kind of want to be able to see my current top themes quickly and easily.

I would like to see all these top-of mind things together, either as a single text blob directly, or virtually through filtering. Maybe filtering my 20k' view in OmniOutliner (with tagging or?) is the way, I don't know. My lists are too long to manually scan everything, everyday.

Ideas welcome.

Last edited by omnibob; 2010-11-30 at 08:54 AM..