The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

 
Logging OmniFocus done items to DayOne through Hazel Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
A draft shell script which can be triggered by Hazel whenever a change is detected in the OmniFocus Sqlite cache, and which logs OmniFocus done items to the Day One journal application.

View description page

View script

--
 
Greetings Rob, I installed the shell script, setup the Hazel rule as pictured, and set the Day One preferences to what you suggested. However, none of my completed tasks for today have (yet) been logged to Day One. Wondering if I have missed a step here? Looking at the shell script, there are references to a log folder and 3 log files-do these need to be set up manually or?
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Jones View Post
Greetings Rob, I installed the shell script, setup the Hazel rule as pictured, and set the Day One preferences to what you suggested. However, none of my completed tasks for today have (yet) been logged to Day One. Wondering if I have missed a step here? Looking at the shell script, there are references to a log folder and 3 log files-do these need to be set up manually or?
Hi Greg,

That's interesting - thanks for the report.
No, no need to set up log files, and the default log folder is your home directory.

Things to check:
  1. Is it creating ~/DoneToday.txt etc ?
  2. Have you clicked the Done button in DayOne to clear any active editing session and reveal any text from other entry-creating events ?
  3. Have you definitely copied the whole of the script and either pointed Hazel to a file containing it, or pasted it all into Hazel's 'Embedded Script' field ?
  4. If it is creating the ~/DoneToday.txt etc files, what's in them? I wonder if there's a time zone issue which I haven't got right. I happen to be sitting here on an edge case - Greenwich Mean Time ...
 
Quote:
Is it creating ~/DoneToday.txt etc ?
Yes, I have all 3 files in my home directory

Quote:
Have you clicked the Done button in DayOne to clear any active editing session and reveal any text from other entry-creating events ?
Yes, have done this. I've tried completing a task when Day One was active, and completing a task when Day One was not running. No difference-there is no entry for the completed tasks.

Quote:
Have you definitely copied the whole of the script and either pointed Hazel to a file containing it, or pasted it all into Hazel's 'Embedded Script' field ?
I downloaded everything from your github page using the Download button and pointed the Hazel rule to the OmniFocusLogDone2DayOne.sh shell script. The script is version 0.02.

Quote:
If it is creating the ~/DoneToday.txt etc files, what's in them? I wonder if there's a time zone issue which I haven't got right. I happen to be sitting here on an edge case - Greenwich Mean Time ...
The DoneToday and LoggedToday text files contain the completed tasks in the format:

cjetMpZGO96|2012-12-11|05:03|task project and task name
kWaHO1dkp49|2012-12-11|06:45|task project and task name

The JustDone text file is empty, and my time zone is Easter Standard.
 
Thanks ! If DoneToday.txt contains your done items, then the problem is with the logging to DayOne, rather than the harvesting of done items, and I realise that my covering notes (now amended with the help of your feedback) omitted to mention that you need to install the DayOne command line tool

Might that be the issue ?
 
That would indeed be the issue. I wondered why your script referenced a CLI tool for Day One-just assumed it was part of the .app package.

It is working here now-thanks! Just to confirm the expected behavior, should there be a separate entry in Day One for each completed task?
 
I am very very interested in this process, because the one thing I really feel lacking in Omnifocus is some kind of daily journal - so you can refer back to everything that was ticked off as done on a given day. However, I havent got a clue where to start with Hazel, I am a relatively new mac user and just don't know where to begin. If anyone here can offer to set this up for me for a reasonable fee or point me at documentation from a very basic level ie non programmer level, I'd be very interested... Thanks in advance!
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casslar View Post
I am very very interested in this process, because the one thing I really feel lacking in Omnifocus is some kind of daily journal - so you can refer back to everything that was ticked off as done on a given day. However, I havent got a clue where to start with Hazel, I am a relatively new mac user and just don't know where to begin. If anyone here can offer to set this up for me for a reasonable fee or point me at documentation from a very basic level ie non programmer level, I'd be very interested... Thanks in advance!
Bring up the Completed perspective under the Perspectives menu and you'll see all of your completed actions. Use View->Columns->Completion Date to turn on a column showing the completion date.
 
Thanks whpalmer4 - do you know of any way to export this view as some kind of a daily report? Thats what I am really after, and feel there must be a simpler way than the scripts etc in this thread! Thanks in advance!
 
I have a rule of thumb I follow: if I need to do XYZ, and RobTrew has written a script that does XYZ (or something very similar), I install Rob's script and look no further.

The only problem with that plan here is that you may not have Hazel and Day One. It's possible to tinker with Rob's script a bit to remove the need for Day One and just dump everything in a text file (it actually already does that, but doesn't retain the file past the end of the day), and it isn't absolutely necessary to use Hazel to trigger the script. By far the path of least resistance would be to simply buy Hazel; it can be used for many other tasks besides this. Day One you may or may not want; I'm willing to provide a copy of Rob's script that simply appends endlessly to a text file rather than shoveling the data off to Day One.

Before you go down that path, however, you might consider how pressing your need is to have this information outside of OmniFocus. There's a built-in Completed perspective which will show you all the completed actions in your database. You can turn on a column that shows the date and time of completion via the View->Columns->Completion Date command. If you just select a bunch of actions, Edit->Copy, switch to your favorite text editor or Mail application, Edit->Paste will give you the text of the action names on separate lines.
 
 


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic Exporting via Hazel varyags OmniGraffle General 0 2012-03-22 11:43 AM
OmniWeb Download + Hazel halbtuerke OmniWeb Feature Requests 10 2008-05-03 01:49 PM
Time logging Finlay Boo OmniFocus 1 for Mac 5 2008-03-12 12:02 PM
Logging into eBay Twice Kazammm OmniWeb Bug Reports 4 2008-03-04 12:19 PM
Suggestion: Logging! seebs OmniFocus 1 for Mac 0 2007-09-19 04:55 AM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.