The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

What do the different typefaces mean? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I'm sure this is somewhere, but I can't find it.

In the project list, I see projects that are bold, some that are italics and grey. I see actions that are blue, some that are purple. I haven't made any settings that change colors, so I assume these have meaning. But I'm not sure what it is.

Thanks!

Bold projects are those that are available--either they have no start date or the start date has arrived. Gray italic projects are pending or on hold: they either have a start date that has not yet arrived or you have placed them On Hold with the contextual menu or Inspector.

Purple actions are Next Actions: they're the next thing you can do in the project. Blue actions are Next Actions in single-action containers (all actions in such containers are Next). Black actions are available but not next. Gray italic actions are unavailable, either because they are in a sequential project but are not the next action, or because they are pending, or because they do not have a context assigned. Red actions are overdue, orange actions are due soon. (How soon is a preference you can set.)

I think the color feature is _very_ well thought out. Kudos to the design team for this very useful feature.

And if you don't like a particular color, you can change it (Command-T while you're editing an instance of the appropriate action).

Thanks for cataloguing all of those!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Journey View Post
I think the color feature is _very_ well thought out. Kudos to the design team for this very useful feature.
It's decent. However, I'm annoyed that I get (after my own colour customizations) the same colour for things that are truly overdue, and things that are due today. I don't consider today to be overdue.

*lightbulb*

Things that are due today have a default time of 12am. That's why they are immediately overdue. I think that's silly.

And I don't think there is a preference to change the default due time to 11:59pm. If there is, I'd love to hear it.

Victor.

PS otherwise I love OF, and I've placed my order. I've gone through various other programs, including LifeBalance which is more expensive, and have twice started writing my own to-do-list manager. I'll stick with OF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDiesel View Post
Things that are due today have a default time of 12am. That's why they are immediately overdue. I think that's silly.
ya, that has always bugged me too. if there is going to be a due time then it should default to something sensible such as EOD.

and, 12:00 is the most confusing time -- it's too easy to forget that midnight is the beginning of the day rather than the end -- so, it would be more user-friendly to default to 12:01AM.

I believe that Ken has said elsewhere that they're considering making start dates default to 12 am and due dates default to 11:59 pm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VicDiesel View Post
Default time is what you get when you don't set the time as you want it. If you want a different time, set it that way.

Thanks so much for laying this out. I had some of it sorted, but for the life of me couldn't figure out some of the rest. Great tools, once you understand them. Thanks again.