The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Warning to Time Machine Users Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Yesterday I upgraded the HD in my Macbook Pro, and I used Time Machine to restore my stuff to the new drive. Worked like a charm, except...

First bit of strangeness: I noticed that Time Machine hadn't restored the most recent versions of some of my applications, e.g. OmniFocus, Transmission, Skim, and PTH Pasteboard. I checked my TM backup, and sure enough, it had not backed up recent updates.

I noticed that all those programs have one thing in common: built in updaters. The programs download and install the updates themselves. I used the built in updaters to get the latest versions of the above programs, then ran Time Machine. Time Machine did not back them up. Hmm...

Second bit of strangeness: Prior to my HD upgrade, I kept my iTunes Library on an external drive. After the upgrade I had enough space for my iTunes library on my internal. I changed the Library location in the iTunes prefs, then did a "Consolidate Library" in iTunes. It dutifully copied my 100+ GB of music to my internal drive.

I then did a "Backup Now" in Time Machine. It didn't recognize the that any new files had been added.

So I decided to restart my computer to see if that had any effect. Bingo! Time Machine recognized the new music files AND the programs I had updated.

Just a heads up that Time Machine my not be backing up what you think its backing up.