The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus Extras
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OmniFocus URI Handler (create tasks via URL) [See Omni note on pg 5!] Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
OmniFocus URI Handler

This little applet takes an "x-omnifocus:" URL and turns it into an OmniFocus inbox task. You use standard web syntax like this to create your new tasks:

x-omnifocus:newtask?name=foo&context=bar&notes=barfo o

It also lets you pass things like the context and project via the URL. Furthermore, you can decide whether to route the task to Quick Entry or straight into the inbox (&quickentry=1).

Lastly, it also permits a "parsetasks" handler so that you can parse multiple tasks by passing them in a URL.

Bookmarklets are provided in the read-me file that's included with the applet itself. One nice feature of the bookmarklets is that they save any selected text in your browser as a note, along with the URL.

My goal here was not just to have browser-bookmarklet support (although that's what started it off), but also to have an easy way to "glue" other programs into OmniFocus, especially programs that aren't scriptable. I just took my lead from all the simple "REST" apis on the web these days and essentially created my own little REST service for OmniFocus.

I use this now with a handful of shell scripts as well as bookmarklets.