The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > Applying OmniFocus
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Are too many Contexts a bad thing? (and other Questions) Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
I'm making strides with my GTD/OmniFocus system since having the time to pick it up again recently.

I like the idea of contexts, but I do not feel like I am implementing them correctly. I believe the definition of a context in GTD is the place, tool or set of circumstances under which an action needs to take place. But I have so many contexts now that I feel I may be taking it too far.

For example, I have seen many people recommend a "Shopping" or "Errands" context.

Now when I go out shopping it's usually to a very specific shop to get a deal I have found online. The nature of this means that sometimes, deals may be found in various shops.

Does this mean that I should create a separate nested context for each shop from which I purchase?

E.g. Supermarkets (In Britain: Asda, Tescos, Morrisons, Sainsburys etc)

Another area in which I have this problem is University. My University is split into various buildings across a large street. Should I simply have a context for "University" or should I have nested contexts for places such as The Library, Professor's Offices etc?

For my other questions:

Firstly, should I be adding meetings with people under the relevant "People" context, or should I simply be adding the action which leads to that meeting (e.g. phoning someone to setup the meeting) and then add the meeting to a calendar?

What can I do to ensure that I regularly look at reference information?

Thanks in advance!