The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniGraffle > OmniGraffle General
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

What Happened to Save As? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
whpalmer4: I see how your save-as-after-auto-save scenario could potentially create confusion. I don't think it is any worse that the confusions I listed in my scenarios, so I'm left unconvinced that the duplicate and save method is 'safer'.

Aside: the way this works on the iPad is different from the way it works on Lion. On the iPad the application is restored in EXACTLY the same state it was in when you closed it. On Lion this is not true. Undo buffers are lost for one. Also, the "duplicate" interface is part of the file management UI, not part of the editing UI as it is in Lion.

Now, back to general problem of saving files. First, as an axiom, you should never lose any data ever. I don't think the new Lion system solves this problem, though I am glad Apple is thinking this direction.

What I'd really like to see is the following:

Only have explicit, manual saves. Saving is a user-signaled time when the document is in a "consistent state". The user isn't half-way between thoughts. If you've used source control systems this is akin to a "commit". Though you should commit code often, you should do it at points where it at least compiles/runs. Similarly with documents. When I save a doc I am signaling it's in a "good place" right now. I love the idea of versioning for documents, too. I'd like to be able to roll back and see previous "good places". What I don't want is to see previous "randomly selected" places. Along these lines, I'd love to have the option to put a note on each version - much like in source control when you attach a short message to your commits. This should be optional, obviously.

Now, in-between saves, I'd like to have the entire editing state of the document persisted including, most importantly, the complete undo buffer.