The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

iGTD on par with KGTD Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by ueila
A lot of people have been waiting for TR2.0 for months and meanwhile iGTD is catching up fast.
The Mac version is already out :)
It’s still preliminary, but I imagine that it will evolve quickly in the next couple of weeks. TR already worked for me better than all of the alternatives I tried. TR 2 adds many useful features.
I won’t post a thorough review yet, since this is the first release, intended to get user feedback. I would not use it yet for GTD purposes. :)

Interesting discussion on 43Folders about iGTD:

http://www.43folders.com/2007/04/08/igtd-quicksilver/

My favorite quote: "this ongoing Newton user has finally shifted the task management out of the Newton back to a laptop. iGTD is fabulous"

While it is a beta product and in development, it already has a decent backup system in place. I have to admit I'm really liking it, but I'll give TR 2 a look.

The best thing is that we have choices :)

If you want to read a bit about the preliminary Thinking Rock 2, check out the following:
http://www.zzamboni.org/brt/2007/04/...nking-rock-20/

Right now users are reporting bugs and offering comments and suggestions. I can’t wait for their official release.

Hey OmniGroup... time to release the hounds.

iGTD has caught up and is about to start to eat into your profits. Get OmniFocus out there or hire the guy doing iGTD and fast.

BZ

I'm using iGTD now, was using kGTD. I like iGTD a great deal, I post on the forum, make recommedations, even made a donation. But despite all that, I still prefer the outline UI of OO and the tremendous flexibility of the outline paradigm.

From what I've gathered from the limited OMNI releases about Focus, the UI will be very similar to OO. But then again, iGTD has Smart Folders, and it syncs very well.

Basically I've bought iGTS already, but I'm still really looking forward to the OmniFocus release.

Isn't competition great?

The one thing keeping me on the OF wait list (and not jumping into the iGTD) is that Omni has promised a kGTD import which with me and my 80+ projects and hundreds of tasks is VERY important.

I will wait for the great Omni a bit more (May-ish).

BZ

OK, iGTD has been out for awhile and everyone and their grandmother is using it, it seems, me included.

However, as the feature requests are becoming more refined, due to people actually using iGTD for some time, I'm seeing a pattern develope. It could just be me and my wishful thinking, however.

I keep seeing requests for the type of features that already exist in kGTD. Such as manual sorting, start times, easy upgrading/downgrading of tasks to and from projects.

Now I'm sure it's me, but the user interface issue of iGTD still bothers me, probably because I started with OmniOutliner and kGTD. I really like the basic outline view and the great flexibility of OO. I don't see this ever happening in iGTD.

It's just a different viewing preference, and I'm sure a great deal of people prefer the iGTD view.

As it stands right now, I will continue using iGTD because kGTD is slow and clunky feeling. The more I use iGTD, the more I'm looking forward to OmniFocus, if I understand correctly that the UI will similar to that of OO.

Version 1.4 of iGTD is out and as always, is free. This version adds a whole lot of features. Sorting can be manual or auto. GUI is improved; there's printing. Also has start date as well as the old end date.

OmniFocus will have to prove itself!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvonk
Version 1.4 of iGTD is out and as always, is free. This version adds a whole lot of features. Sorting can be manual or auto. GUI is improved; there's printing. Also has start date as well as the old end date.

OmniFocus will have to prove itself!
True, but if iGTD is going to appeal to someone like me (a complete GTD novice), its UI is going to have to improve significantly. I just downloaded it, launched it and tried it out. Haven't got a clue how to make it work. I can enter the name of a task but not the project. I clicked something that made a purple pane appear on the left but clicking it again doesn't get rid of it. I can't input text into the Projects window anywhere (bug?)... I'm very underwhelmed for the second time (I downloaded an earlier version as well and it was even more difficult to comprehend then).

Perhaps I'll experience the same with OmniFocus, but iGTD is not at all intuitive.

Just goes to show you: different strokes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
True, but if iGTD is going to appeal to someone like me (a complete GTD novice), its UI is going to have to improve significantly. I just downloaded it, launched it and tried it out. Haven't got a clue how to make it work.
For me it's so absolutely intuitive and easy... First you need to define some contexts. Then start defining some projects. When done, you just add tasks as you need them. For each task, assign it to a context and a project. I suggest reading the GTD book by Allen if you haven't done so. The one warning I generally give about the book is that it is "paper based" and readers should understand that they may need to consider variations of the process, since not everyone falls into the daily "work style" of the author.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKT
I can enter the name of a task but not the project. I clicked something that made a purple pane appear on the left but clicking it again doesn't get rid of it. I can't input text into the Projects window anywhere (bug?)...
You need to be looking at a context or a project in order to add a task. Or you can add a new task to the inbox (which is a context), then define a new project if one isn't already defined. The purple pane is always there, except for the "Completed" mode, which you'd rarely look at.

As for text, just add a new task and then add text in the text area ("Task Notes"). Of course, there are the advanced features. In Mail (assuming you have MailTags installed - and this is one great addition to Mail that greatly helps GTD-like work) just press F5 and the email appears in the Inbox. You can later define a context and project. Or you can designate a task as delegated, to wait for, or a "maybe". It has quite a lot under the hood, like tags and links.

Last edited by pvonk; 2007-05-16 at 12:49 PM..