The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniOutliner > OmniOutliner 4 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OO needs filters - and here's why Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I agree. Adding filters would make OO a useful data processing tool. Unfortunately it seems that graphical fluff is deemed more important than processing features.

+1 - In my view, a most significant next step for oo4 would be adding a filtering function. Entering filter criteria, then seeing a view based on that filter criteria similar to what happens with View --> Focus, would make oo4 incredibly powerful.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Knight View Post
I agree. Adding filters would make OO a useful data processing tool. Unfortunately it seems that graphical fluff is deemed more important than processing features.
What's most apparent about OmniOutliner 4 may be the user interface changes, but that's definitely not what we consider to be the most important about this release—nor where most of the work towards building it went.

Most of the work in OmniOutliner 4 went towards rebuilding much of the underlying outlining engine to make it more flexible—specifically so that we could easily add features like filters, zoomed text, hiding columns, and so on. Some of those features shipped as part of the initial 4.0 release (zoomed text and hiding columns)—while others (like filters) are features which we look forward to adding in the future, now that our outlining engine can support them.

Hi Ken,

That's great news about filters being on your list of features to be added. Others have mentioned this, but I'll add my vote: without the context of parent items (perhaps greyed out, and perhaps available as an option so it can be turned on or off according to a user's needs), filtered results are sometimes not meaningful. So I hope there's a way to include parent items with the filtered results.

Ken, I claim no insight about your underlying reasons, but I can see the result of what you describe as changes to the engine. oo4 seems a little peppier in my view on certain operations I perform using it. Plus, oo4 just feels better overall in actual use from my point of view compared to prior editions. I have little to no complaints about oo4 - its a great product at this point. I only find myself wanting for more. Here's hoping we can help shape the order of functional priorities going forward...

I've been using Omni Outliner now for a week and am loving it. Almost immediately went searching for a filtering option and then headed onto this forum when I couldn't find it. I also wanted a way to filter out checked vs unchecked items.

It seems from the discussions that this is a much requested and deliberately ignored feature. My theory is that OmniGroup are concerned about the crossover in functionality between Outliner and OmniFocus.

If one product starts to have too many features from the other, they probably fear it will affect sales (kind of a cannabilisation). Trouble is once you have different columns, the ability to filter them is a very basic feature. Denying Outliner users this feature is a risk, because it opens the door for their competitors.

I think the feature needs to be added. Otherwise, a fantastic product and am using both omni outliner and focus together.

If oo4 had filters, I would think of the app as a somewhat different tool from how I think of it today. That may not be a bad thing. Who would reject extra features in their favorite software?

But it does prompt other questions -- when does an outlining tool start to become a database, which is what the example of the large collection of recipes sounds like. When an outliner gets columns, we start to think of it as a spreadsheet. How long before we start asking for ever more complex Excel-like functions to calculate and validate column values? In another thread, I ask about a word count feature, which may be another example of the same thing.

At what point do enhancements become scope creep? While the company must continue to improve the power of the products, they will also be aware of the danger of turning a high quality outliner into something perceived as an under-powered spreadsheet or weedy database.

I enjoyed the OP's post but instead of dwelling on the inadequacies of OO, he/she may want to ask whether an outliner is the right tool for storing and manipulating a large collection of recipes, along with an ever-expanding mass of peripheral data.

Last edited by willcarter; 2014-03-02 at 09:35 PM..

I generally share willcarter's concerns when a good app starts adding features and begins to feel as if it's getting off track. But in this case - adding filters to OO - I truly think this is a change that puts OO deeper into its own groove. It fulfills the promise of OO.

Filters extend the abilities of lists and outlines. Many of us who used to use Ecco Pro know full well how incredibly versatile an outliner can be with this one simple addition. It doesn't try to ape a database - it makes a simple outline a far more useful tool.

If a user doesn't want filters, they never have to even see them. But my strong belief is that once users see what filters can do for an outline, they'll find a lot more uses for them.

For me, a database program is overkill and far more complex than what I need. An outliner like Ecco was exactly the right tool for a wide variety of lists and projects. Far more than OO. And the difference is filters.

Think of OmniFocus without Perspectives. It wouldn't be anywhere near as useful. If we ever do get filters for OO, and you start to use them, you'll never want an outliner without them.

TaskPaper has a very idiosyncratic form of filters, it might be work a look if it's a must-have.

+1 for filters a la Omnifocus