The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Where should I store project support files? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Wait a moment - isn't this the difference between "attaching" a file and "embedding" a file?

According to the help file:

"By default, OmniFocus creates links to the files you attach, rather than adding the files to your OmniFocus database. This keeps your database from growing needlessly (which is especially important if you are syncing your data), but the link will break if you delete the file or put it somewhere OmniFocus can’t find it. To make OmniFocus copy a file into its database for safekeeping, hold the Option key as you drop the file, or select Embed the file in the document in the Attach File dialog."

Philip,

You say you won't need to see your support material again and yet you want to keep it in OF, so I guess that tells me you DO need it. Or think you at least might.

For both simplicity and a slim OF file, I would recommend a single folder on your HD in which you can archive all your completed project support materials (each in its own subfolder of course). Then attach each specific project folder to the project in OF as Hoff describes, simply by dragging the folder to create the link (or alias).

If it's all in one folder, hopefully it can sit there harmlessly and not bother you. But if you need it, you can get there either through the link in OF or by going directly to the archived folder, whichever seems easiest.

Bob