The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Time Display Please? Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBerry View Post
I may be completely wrong, but Lizard's response worries me.
I don't pretend to speak for anyone else, but I think that it is more that people using the software take a lot of details in this software very seriously and have the potential to get upset about a lot of different things, and that the developers also took those concerns very seriously when doing the best job that they could.

In other words, I don't think that anyone would accuse them of being lazy or sloppy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucas View Post
I don't pretend to speak for anyone else, but I think that it is more that people using the software take a lot of details in this software very seriously and have the potential to get upset about a lot of different things, and that the developers also took those concerns very seriously when doing the best job that they could.

In other words, I don't think that anyone would accuse them of being lazy or sloppy.
Oh I don't think either of them. I just wondered if maybe they've listened too much to a very vocal group of early adopters, rather than keeping in mind the wider range of needs of more "normal" users and/or newbies. Early adopters are by definition never newbies, as they've grown up with the software.

I know just how difficult it can be - I grew up with Pocket Informant on the Pocket PC, and really did struggle sometimes to see or even accept the views of newcomers. I wasn't alone either - there was a danger for a while of a clique forming that defended "that's how it's always been done" at all costs. Fortunately the developer AND some of us in the potential clique stopped it, but it took a real effort of will.

I agree with Curt , I think the mail implementation is a nice way to present time as being " optional " .

I personnaly was among the person saying first we don't need time in column view. But since now, using seriously OF on my macs and iphone, i realize it could be really usefull to be able to get it in some perspectives (when i'm working on my day list and not reviewing all my stuff in a project and so on).

So i guess the mail way to implement it would be great since Perspectives (correct me if i'm wrong) remember columns states.

Or at least just a checkbox in the preferencies ?

Thanks a lot omni

Sincerely

Yann

One suggestion was to have the start/due columns behave like the date column in Mail; when narrow, you just get the date, and when sufficiently wide, you get the time as well. Would that work for you? If so, use Help->Send Feedback in the program to "vote" for it. Stuff sent to the forum isn't necessarily tracked by Omni's developers, but feedback through that mechanism is.

I sent feedback asking for this functionality. I am also posting here to bump the topic up and encourage other's to send the same feedback if they agree it would be helpful.

If you're running OmniFocus 1.7 or later, you can turn on time display for date columns with this Terminal command:

Code:
defaults write com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterShowTime YES
If you change your mind and want to return to the default of date only, use this:

Code:
defaults delete com.omnigroup.OmniFocus RelativeDateFormatterShowTime
You will need to restart OmniFocus for the change to take effect.

-Dennis