The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > Developer > OmniObjectMeter
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Continuous Memory Leak Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Hi

I am kind new to all this. But I learn quickly. Let me give you a brief history. I have an iMac. It is great. However, recently my system shows manifestations of having a continuous memory leak. It does not show up all the time. But if I did nothing eventually I see all my memory eaten up. But then it all comes back or at least partially. I have followed the advice I found thru Apple Support Forum and Apple Technical Support and done the following: Archive and Install Reboot; Self Diagnostic Scan with AHT test. Results negative. Both CPU and memory are ok; Erase and Install Reboot. After each reboot or test performed, the results are the same - I still have a memory leak.

I watch this Apple application called "Activity Monitor" to monitor my memory usage and how much disappears and how fast. It is divided into Five sections: Free, Wired, Active, Inactive and Used. The wired remains a constant because I have a Bluetooth Wireless connection for my system. The "Active" and the "Inactive" fluctuates. But at times the more and more memory simply disappears into the "Inactive" category.

Few more notes and comments. This has been an ongoing problem for the last couple months. I have two other accounts other the main one, my own. And after each time I have done the following, the results is the same - no change in the memory leak. And here is a telling point. After I did the above actions, Archive and Install and Erase and Install, I noticed distinctly the same thing. In fact it got worst. I also noticed it did not matter what account I was in - my own or the other accounts, guest, test and Ricochet - the result was the same.

Now I have given a brief history of my problem, I have a few questions. What do I do first? I have established that it is not a hardware problem. So how do I proceed and determine if I do have a memory leak? Give me few pointers if you can or at least point me in the right direction.

I forgot one more thing. I downloaded your Omniobjectmeter application to help me find this memory leak. But how do I proceed? Can you help me?

Thank your for your help and co-operation.

Ricochet

Last edited by Ricochet; 2010-08-28 at 11:27 AM..

Ricochet, sorry for the confusion here. OmniObjectMeter is a developer tool - you add those code libraries into a piece of software you're writing, and it helps you detect problems which can waste memory. It's not going to help unless you're writing a new OS X application.

That said, if you're concerned about the amount of memory that's in the "Inactive" column, I wouldn't worry about that. Inactive memory could also be called "Available" or "Idle" memory - it's not being used by any of your applications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricochet View Post

I watch this Apple application called "Activity Monitor" to monitor my memory usage and how much disappears and how fast. It is divided into Five sections: Free, Wired, Active, Inactive and Used. The wired remains a constant because I have a Bluetooth Wireless connection for my system.
"Wired" in this context has nothing to do with networking: it refers to memory used by the operating system and not available to user programs.
Quote:
The "Active" and the "Inactive" fluctuates. But at times the more and more memory simply disappears into the "Inactive" category.
Yes, that's what you would expect. It doesn't mean that the memory doesn't work, just that the running programs aren't referencing as many different locations as they were. For example, if you launched a photo editor and had it put up many photographs on your screen, then decided to edit just one of them, the photo editor would initially use a lot of memory, but might not actively use all of it once you focused on one image. You would see the active memory use drop, and inactive memory would grow, and once you quit the photo editor, free would grow.

When the combined demand for memory by all of the running applications exceeds the physical memory installed, the operating system copies the contents of some of the least recently used memory to the disk and juggles frantically to allow you to get 10 lbs of natural fertilizer in a 5 lb sack. You might think of it as an office where there are more people than desks, but the people take frequent breaks, and the office manager clears off your desk when you get up, puts the stuff in a file cabinet, and allows someone else to use the now vacant desk. When you come back, you may get your old desk back, or a different one, but the same stuff will be on it, just as you left it.