The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

For discussion - workflow Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I have note used Inbox, but have read GTD twice, listened to it twice more, read his followup book, bought some of his audio recordings and generally immersed myself into the whole GTD thing. Been using OmniFocus for a year and a half and Kinkless before that.

For me, the zen of GTD, is that you shouldn't be thinking about GTD. You should just be doing. Tools shouldn't force you through things, but help you but mostly stay out of your way.

Let the mind do the work it does the best and let the GTD application just supplement that, providing value where the mind is weak.

BZ

Well-said, BZ. I hadn't really thought about it, but now that you mention it, I'm in complete agreement.
-Dennis

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
I have note used Inbox, but have read GTD twice, listened to it twice more, read his followup book, bought some of his audio recordings and generally immersed myself into the whole GTD thing. Been using OmniFocus for a year and a half and Kinkless before that.

For me, the zen of GTD, is that you shouldn't be thinking about GTD. You should just be doing. Tools shouldn't force you through things, but help you but mostly stay out of your way.

Let the mind do the work it does the best and let the GTD application just supplement that, providing value where the mind is weak.

BZ
Which is exactly what worked like a charm in MI because it led me throught the process. In OF i had to sit down and manually model my review process, model my perspectives for that, etc. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quorcork View Post
Which is exactly what worked like a charm in MI because it led me throught the process. In OF i had to sit down and manually model my review process, model my perspectives for that, etc. :-)
Precisely. It could very well be that I'll get there eventually with OF, but for now it's all taking way too much thought. And some of that thought is not simple "what's next" in the workflow, it's "what have I forgotten", which couldn't be more un-GTD I think.

Mostly it relates to collection, but also processing. In MI, within minutes, I'd lost the feeling that I was forgetting to chuck something into my inbox. All right, so it came back again very quickly because the code wasn't working 100%, but obviously we wouldn't have that issue with OG now would we ;)

So if nothing else I'd like more automatic collection options, to cover bookmarks, files, e-mails, notes, iCal events and todo's, and, well, anything else I might have to manually check otherwise.

I'm sure it's all scriptable, but I don't know how to script (yet)!

Mark

MacBerry, it sounds like you just need to define your system better and as others have pointed out, one you have done that your need to have your hand held, will diminish.

Here is what I do, take what you need from it.

Inboxes: Physical, OmniFocus, Email, Email Flagged, Evernote, iPhone Notes

Everything can go into one of those buckets and during my weekly review (in OmniFocus as a re-occuring weekly project) I have a task for each one of those "Clear out inbox. Clear out flagged email folder. Clear out iPhone notes. Review Evernote". So in that way, OmniFocus is holding my hand, telling me what to do for each part of my weekly review.

I also have tasks in my Weekly Review for "Review previous calendar." and "Review upcomming calendar." I don't need the application to actually BRING me to the calendar, just a reminder to do it. Again, let the app be the hub, but let each individual application do its thing (like iCal).

I don't review bookmarks as part of my weekly review. They are not storage devices. If I want to send a bookmark into my GTD queue I use ToodleDo and send it to my OF Inbox.

I also don't review "files". That is like reviewing "My world" too big. If anything needs review I will put a task in there.

Here is my Weekly Review in OmniFocus today:

- Sync with Toodledo @ OmniFocus
- Get OmniFocus inbox to zero @ OmniFocus
- Get mail inbox to zero @ Email
- Empty flagged email folder @ Email
- Get desk inbox to zero @ Home
- Empty iPhone notes @ Mac
- Review Evernote @ Mac
- Review past calendar @ Mac
- Review upcoming calendar @ Mac
- Reviwe pending projects @ OmniFocus
- Review on hold projects @ OmniFocus
- Review waiting for list @ OmniFocus
- Review agendas @ OmniFocus
- Review SalesForce oppurtunities @ SalesForce
- Review all project folders @ OmniFocus
- Flag must dos for next week @ OmniFocus

After that I am pretty much done. The flagged email folder is just a Smart Folder of flagged emails which I flag while processing my email during the week.

Anyway, that is my way.

BZ