The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

On Hold projects show up in review Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I don't mind a few extra reviews, but a few hundred or thousand extra reviews is a bit much! If putting a project or action on hold until some future date meant changing the context (and having to change it back) instead of putting on a start date and leaving the context unchanged, would you think that an acceptable solution? That is similar to what an iPad-only review forces me to do with a project that I don't wish to review for a substantial period of time, but then wish to review frequently. With lots of pending and on hold projects, time spent needlessly "reviewing" them on the iPad adds up!
Wow! I feel your pain. Few hundreds/thousands? This sounds like a workflow issue rather than the program issue. How are you using on-hold features?

Ken

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post
I don't mind a few extra reviews, but a few hundred or thousand extra reviews is a bit much! If putting a project or action on hold until some future date meant changing the context (and having to change it back) instead of putting on a start date and leaving the context unchanged, would you think that an acceptable solution? That is similar to what an iPad-only review forces me to do with a project that I don't wish to review for a substantial period of time, but then wish to review frequently. With lots of pending and on hold projects, time spent needlessly "reviewing" them on the iPad adds up!
So you've got a project that, when active, would be reviewed say weekly, but right now you'd like to punt on looking at it for two months, for example?

I was thinking I might end up in the opposite situation: a project that I review every 2 or 3 months, which involves some deep thought. It comes up for review and I'm not ready to really deal with it. So I want to punt on reviewing it for a week.

Would a "postpone review" button work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopi View Post
So you've got a project that, when active, would be reviewed say weekly, but right now you'd like to punt on looking at it for two months, for example?
You got it, though it's more likely to be that it is reviewed every 2 or 3 days, after being ignored for a few months. I use the review process to prod me into making progress on things I don't really want to do; stuff that I want to do generally doesn't need much reviewing except to tie up any loose ends.
Quote:
I was thinking I might end up in the opposite situation: a project that I review every 2 or 3 months, which involves some deep thought. It comes up for review and I'm not ready to really deal with it. So I want to punt on reviewing it for a week.
That also seems like a good example of where you would want to adjust the next review date instead of the review interval.
Quote:
Would a "postpone review" button work?
For my case, there already is, and it is labeled "Mark Reviewed" :) It just wastes a bit of my time each time I have to press it. It doesn't handle your case well at all.

Also missing from the iPad is the ability to see the next review date for a project. If the project is overdue for review, you can at least see what the proposed review interval is and add that to today's date (not too hard if it is a small interval, a bit less convenient if it is something like 47 days). If the project isn't up for review, you are completely in the dark unless you want to mark it reviewed, which you can do by tap and hold on the project header in the Projects view, and choose Review, thus starting the review cycle over for that project.

I know, I know, I'm an ungrateful customer, first I complain that they don't implement the feature at all on the iPhone, and then when they do me the huge favor of implementing it on the iPad, I say "thanks, but" and start complaining again :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrhee View Post
Unlike some of you, I actually like "hold" projects to be shown in the review session. As with any projects, things can be fluid or situations can change; so, it doesn't hurt to review even those projects that are on hold once in awhile.
Ken
Agreed. If something is on Hold, I might push it out to 4 weekly reviews, but I still want it to show up, so I can add to it anything which may have happened in the meantime or it may have become active and I've not changed it's status as such. If it didn't show up in review, it could 'disappear' into a black hole.

Agreed that it can be useful to see the inactive projects in the review, but most of the time I want to focus on reviewing the active projects — a tactical review vs. a strategic one, you might say. Unfortunately, only the Mac app offers that option at the moment. The same argument applies to being able to review all projects regardless of last review date, though here the iPad only offers the restrictive view instead only offering the one that cannot be narrowed. Saving grace for me there is that when I do a review of everything, I actually don't want to mark them reviewed, as that would bollix up my attempts to keep the daily review workload evenly distributed; reading through all the projects (which obviously can be done on any of the platforms) only requires that I not lose my place, or fail to complete the scan.