The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus 1 for Mac
FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

OF Pricing: The great debate of '08 Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I think this thread has gone on for four pages now because everyone uses the same word ("expensive,") but people are meaning different things.

Let's take perhaps the most common ways to define "expensive":

Price
In this meaning, OF is expensive. Its price is the highest among all the early-generation GTD/todo apps that have emerged in the last 18-24 months. This is simply a fact, and many people find it significant and are pointing it out. (and to be fair, I think that more than half the comments that advise a $49 price-point are not from "cheapskates" but from fans of OF who want Omni to be as successful as possible with their new venture and are offering their honest perspective as a consumer with sticker-shock.)

Value
This is dependent almost completely on the individual making the statement. For some people, OF could save them $100 per day by making them more efficient. Others could get by with a 3x5 card and a new pen. This is too subjective a criterion to be dealt with or argued effectively, so we should leave it to the side.

Cost vs Price
Here, I think we have the best argument (though I have no figures to support it) that OF is not expensive. There are simply more people working to make OmniFocus successful than in the cases of competing apps. In the long run, this should mean: more features, better support, better stability, and greater longevity (this last is particularly important). Personally, I don't get the impression that Omni has priced OF at the "what the market will bear" level as much as "what it takes to keep this project going."

In the end, let's try to keep this thread as useful as possible for prospective users who are weighing their options and thinking the same things many of us did before buying.

Wow, what a discussion. OF was just the right price for me. Helped transform my to-do lists in OO to something more organized. If you want to use free software to keep track of your life. Good luck with that. I mean really how hard is it to make another $80? 6 minutes in a Minneapolis bathroom and you're all set, 1/2 hours and you're good for the family pack or maybe even the productivity pack if you know what you're doing. I mean business is business ; )
Just think about it. My wife and I spent 40 bucks the last time we went to a movie and today with our kids we spend $60. I mean that's what we're talking about here, movie and Mickie D's (if you're into that kinda thing). night.

Now that things have cooled off on the thread, I'd like to thank the Omnigroup forum users and administrators for your insightful responses. In my experience it is very rare to find such a concentration of thoughtful and focused professionals. To the folks from Omni, your responses in particular show a great deal of cultivation and consideration, and a deep dedication to well constructed salesmanship. From your products that I have reviewed, I see that same attention to detail mirrored in streamlined and functional tools. Personally, I found your Omnifocus program extremely useful. My major gripe is that I cannot afford it myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
We've already sold over 17,000 copies of OmniFocus, which suggests that the market in general doesn't feel that it's an overpriced product. (OmniFocus sells more copies each week than any of our other products do.)

While the fundamentals of OmniFocus are quite simple (capture, plan, and act), it takes a lot of work to get all the details right: our team worked on version 1.0 for 18 months. Also, your purchase doesn't stop with what we've already delivered: we've already planned out versions 1.0.1, 1.0.2, 1.1, and 1.2—all of which will be free updates for anyone who has purchased 1.0.

So, to those of you who feel it's too expensive now: sorry, unless it's free there will always be some people out there who think it's too expensive. I think if you really weigh the benefits of OmniFocus you'll find it's well worth the investment. (If you were to pay for it in installments over the course of a year, it would cost just $6.67 per month!)

And to the 17,000+ of you who've already purchased OmniFocus: thank you!
I'm not going to lie and act like I wouldn't rather pay less for a piece of software. However, I do see the value in Omni software. I own OmniGraffle Pro, OmniOutliner Pro, OmniDazzle, and after testing OmniFocus I'm sure I'll purchase it as well.

Having said that I will point out that personally, based on my past experience with the quality of Omni software, I do feel that OmniFocus doesn't feel quite finished to me. I really do appreciate the 18 months that you've spent working on it and I appreciate that you are currently working on quashing bugs and will release free update. However, when you are asking people to pay $80 for a piece of software the bugs that are remaining shouldn't be quite as glaring. I understand if there are bugs that aren't found until after you get it in the hands of 17,000 users but the obvious ones should be fixed before the 1.0 release. People should not be asked to pay $80 to perform QA on software.

Keep up the hard work. I'm looking forward to a more polished OmniFocus because after just a couple of days I do feel it will be very useful to me.

After all these pages, the one true answer to the question is "Because it can be." Obviously people are willing to buy it and obviously OmniGroup has put in a lot of time developing it and needs to both recover cost and do further development.

Again, I love OmniGroup, own EVERYTHING except for Dazzle (can't find a need) but still think OmniFocus was a little high.

Looking at the upcoming pricing of OmniGraffle 5 ($99.95 for an professional UPGRADE) I think OmniGroup is clearly trending to higher priced software. For some, this will be too much. For others, it is a tool that is invaluable. I mean, that is almost the price of OSX 10.5 Leopard.

At the end of the day, it is a free market and if someone comes in and builds a OF or OG clone for half the price or Open Source, they will lose.

I have noticed, that over the years, my software purchase have gone WAY up.

BZ

Just to followup on this, OmniGraffle Pro went from $149 to $199 which is a hefty increase and the pro ugprade is $99 which is half of NEW price but over 75% of the old price.

That is double dipping math.

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Just to followup on this, OmniGraffle Pro went from $149 to $199 which is a hefty increase and the pro ugprade is $99 which is half of NEW price but over 75% of the old price.
Our usual pricing strategy is to let our customers retain 2/3rds of the money they spent on the previous version when they upgrade to a new version. (I think this compares very favorably with the typical upgrade pricing of other commercial productivity products such as Microsoft Office, Photoshop, or Quicken.) Since OmniGraffle Pro 4 costs $149, by following that strategy we came up with a $100 discount for the new release of OmniGraffle Pro 5. Does that make sense?

That said, after listening to feedback and talking it over internally we've decided to give our existing customers an even deeper $125 discount when they upgrade to OmniGraffle Pro 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Case View Post
That said, after listening to feedback and talking it over internally we've decided to give our existing customers an even deeper $125 discount when they upgrade to OmniGraffle Pro 5.
Wow, a few posts on the forums and I save myself $25. :)

BTW: I complain because I care. I have been using buying all of your products for years and year and really do enjoy them. I GLADLY pay for each upgrade not only for the new version but to support one of the best Mac software developers on the market.

When you want to open an office in NYC, give me a call! :)

BZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by BwanaZulia View Post
Wow, a few posts on the forums and I save myself $25. :)

BTW: I complain because I care. I have been using buying all of your products for years and year and really do enjoy them. I GLADLY pay for each upgrade not only for the new version but to support one of the best Mac software developers on the market.

When you want to open an office in NYC, give me a call! :)

BZ
I agree. In fact, if they allowed employees to work remotely I would have auditioned for a job with Omni long ago ;)