The Omni Group
These forums are now read-only. Please visit our new forums to participate in discussion. A new account will be required to post in the new forums. For more info on the switch, see this post. Thank you!

Go Back   The Omni Group Forums > OmniFocus > OmniFocus for iPad
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Drilling Down Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
I want to be able to arrive at a context or project by drilling down the hierarchy. However, Projects or Contexts show you the whole thing right away. All levels with colons are there, opened.

Is there a way to travel down paths, no colons at each step, or at least have all top-levels collapsible at once?

Happy to help! Parent items in the project or context sidebars have a carat button to the right of the name. Tap that to drill down.

Is that what you were looking for?

If you want to collapse (or expand) everything, tap and hold on the triangle at the upper right hand corner of a project in the outline panel.

If you're talking about the sidebar, I never see the stuff that is in folders expanded until I enter that folder. Are you seeing something different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by whpalmer4 View Post

If you're talking about the sidebar, I never see the stuff that is in folders expanded until I enter that folder. Are you seeing something different?
You gotta hit the "greater than" symbol to expand in the sidebar. Took me a day to figure that out. Totally different symbol than any disclosure button on the right side. And it doesn't expand, it slides over more details. Which means you lose a level of hierarchy every time you see more detail.

Feels like two different teams wrote the right and left side. Could be just a size difference, but I'd like to understand why things are inconsistent between the two panes. For example, moving stuff is _completely_ different in the sidebar vs main window.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
You gotta hit the "greater than" symbol to expand in the sidebar. Took me a day to figure that out. Totally different symbol than any disclosure button on the right side. And it doesn't expand, it slides over more details. Which means you lose a level of hierarchy every time you see more detail.
Right, that's why I said what I said. I never see the stuff in folders expanded until I enter the folder.

Quote:
If you want to collapse (or expand) everything, tap and hold on the triangle at the upper right hand corner of a project in the outline panel.
I must have missed this part in the Help section, I thought I read it all. I knew that the triangle would expand/collapse within it's own project, but didn't know that I could hold it or the Folder and control a global expand/collapse.

Thanks again whpalmer4.

Quote:
Right, that's why I said what I said. I never see the stuff in folders expanded until I enter the folder.
Sorry, I got confused. I applied your main view statements to your sidebar and I thought you had "triangle" and "greater than" symbols mixed up. But it was I who mixed you up. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian View Post
Happy to help! Parent items in the project or context sidebars have a carat button to the right of the name. Tap that to drill down.

Is that what you were looking for?
Exactly, thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atreinke View Post
I must have missed this part in the Help section, I thought I read it all. I knew that the triangle would expand/collapse within it's own project, but didn't know that I could hold it or the Folder and control a global expand/collapse.
I learned how to use the app before the help file was available, so it may well have been omitted from the documentation without me noticing. If ever you see someone say "here's how you do XYZ" and you can't find any trace of it in the documentation, or think it is poorly documented, send in a report with Contact Omni and pay it forward, so to speak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewis View Post
Sorry, I got confused. I applied your main view statements to your sidebar and I thought you had "triangle" and "greater than" symbols mixed up. But it was I who mixed you up. :-)
It happens all too often, even without your help! :D